Friday, September 19, 2008

BABELFISH ::: Call Your Parents

So I get on the PDI website like I've done since who knows how long ago and I immediately notice "UniOil to cut diesel by P3/liter". Great news, right? I call my father to check the facts. Our conversation went something like this:

Me: Da, magkano na ba isang litro dyan?
Dada: Ah...48.
Me: Ha? Kala ko ba nagbaba na? Tatlong piso daw.
Dada: Hinde, piso lang. Sa isang linggo pa yon.
Me: Magkano na ba isang barel ngayon?
Dada: 88.
Me: A talaga? E dapat magbabaan na nga lahat yan.
Dada: Oo nga. Nirereserba nga nila yon para sa isang linggo.

After a few exchanges about the rest of the family, we finally get to talking about me.

Dada: Kung wala kang mahanap dyan, mas mabuti pa umuwi ka na lang. Nag-aalala ako sa 'yo. Pero ikaw bahala, diskartehan mo na lang.
Me: Oo, alam ko yon. Nandito na ko e, di ko naman basta-basta sasayangin 'to.
Dada: Oo nga e sinayang mo kase yung---di bale, wag na lang pag-usapan 'yon. Basta kung okey naman lagay mo dyan e wag mo kami intindihin dito.

You can tell he's trying to be careful with what to say to me but if I were to be sensitive, I'd say he blew it anyway. Haha! But I have to acknowledge his effort. The man's doing his best to choose his words, perhaps out of fear that he would push me over the edge, me being away from them and all.

Ohh my father. He tries. He really tries. Hahahaha! If I were to pick a TV dad most like my own, I would say Red from That 70s Show. Tough talking, always grouchy, whiny, no emotion. This is why we, his children, find it too funny when he's showing his sensitive side. It just doesn't compute, Dada! Just drop it.

No comments:

Post a Comment