Tuesday, August 23, 2005

RIGHT BRAIN ::: Laughing with the Tabon Man

Your bungling idiot strikes again, this time getting my SIM card blocked while attempting to put a PIN code. Of course, I have no idea where I stashed the piece of paper containing the unblocking key--I've never needed it. Trust me, if I had the slightest idea on how remarkably inept I were to become these past few months, I would have carried it with me to the ends of the earth. Instead, I'm left with a SIM card loaded with 300 credits no one will ever make use of, just when I'm expecting important calls and texts from all over. Everytime I look at my cell, I feel like breaking down. I hope people still know how to use a regular telephone and contact me just the same.

But there still is email, right? Wrong. I've concluded that employees only use this medium now for reprimanding and forwarding jokes or inspirational (?) poppycock. Even so, I can't go through one day without checking email. I, too, get jumpy if i don't get to review messages daily. Mistulang* ako'y namundok nang isang taon kung gayon. I'm reminded of something mentioned from a not-so-long-ago TV drama called Now and Again: man has existed for millions of years without the Internet that it's pathetic how we who live in the present liken downtime to the end of the world. Just ask any of my former Earthlink tech support buddies!

All this got me thinking of the early Pinoy, the Tabon Man. He would probably shake his head at our impersonal ways, relying on electronics to fellowship with one another when a simple wave of the hand or smile would do. Either that or snicker at how we are beside ourselves when something as easily replacable as a SIM card causes us trouble. Yep, if Tabon man were to write a book about his modern day kalahi, he would call it something like "The Future's Oxymorons".


*as if, like, comparable to

No comments:

Post a Comment