Saturday, August 27, 2005

RIGHT BRAIN ::: I Know Jack

About eight years ago, while rummaging through the discount pile at National, I found a book by C.S. Lewis called "Mere Christianity". He was often quoted on Sundays during the message at CCF so I already had an idea on what he mostly wrote. After reading the first few pages, I knew I had to take it home since it was priced at around Php80 only. I did not expect that it will be one my most treasured discoveries.

There has never been, in my opinion, a more sensible exposition on my faith than "Mere Christianity". It spoke to me as if both sides of my mental windshield were being wiped clean of streaks and grime. Whenever I go back and skim through the text, it almost gives me the feeling of coming home--soppy as that may be. I remember how parts of the text made so much sense that I would literally open my eyes wide in amazement; I was astonished at how I didn't see these truths before, especially when Lewis's points were clear and plain as day. From that point on, C.S. Lewis became one of my favorite writers of all time. I began searching for his work everywhere.

Reprints of "Mere Christianity" now go for Php300 and above for trade paperback editions. I suppose many more people are discovering the significance of this piece of literature. My slim copy of "Out of the Silent Planet," part one Lewis's sci-fi trilogy, set me back about Php50 when I got it in 1998. Today, you will need about five times (or more) that amount to buy the exact same edition.

This past week, I caught the trailer to "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" being shown at SM Bacoor's atrium. Obviously, I knew they were making this movie and that it's supposed to open this Christmas (January for us) but I have decided to isolate myself from all the marketing lest it takes even a whiff off the surprise and magic, if that's even possible. It would have been impossible to avoid the promotions. Anyway, I didn't pay much attention to whatever was playing on the huge TV until I saw the opening scenes with a boy counting off for a game of hide and seek. I knew what it was and, almost magnetically, I walked closer to the TV quickly, slowly being overwhelmed. It truly is a strange feeling to see a book you've read become a movie. I didn't have enough skin for my goose bumps. "This Christmas" flashed on the screen interspersed with swooping landscape scenes. My gosh, it even has the same opening spiel as "Fellowship": "This Christmas, the most incredible tale..." Now, of course, I can't wait to see the whole movie! I wonder if Lewis ever thought this would happen or if he had similar apprehensions about his work being adapted into film just as his bestfriend Tolkien had with "Lord of the Rings". I wonder what kind of discourse these two scholars are having now.

When the "Lord of the Rings: Return of the King" end credits rolled, I sat in the theatre as my eyes welled up, not only for the remarkable achievement, but also (and more) for the last goodbye I bade to that experience. I suppose that coincided with the last scene at the Grey Havens, oddly enough. Jeff Buckley should be singing in your head right about now. The equally piercing Annie Lennox theme song that played helped instigate the sense of loss. There was not going to be a 'next installment'. It was all over. "Harry Potter fans should wave their swizzlesticks in glee. They'll finally have the holiday box office instead of being moved to the following Summer in order to prevent people from seeing the blatant similarities," I snickered.

I'm glad I'm wrong.

No doubt, when "Narnia" opens, it will be number one on the U.S. box office for, at the very least, four weeks. People will be making a beeline to C.S. Lewis sections in bookstores, if not already. They've reprinted several of his books and are prominently displayed in your face when you walk into Powerbooks. I can't be happier with that. Also, I learned, albeit late, that Disney will make movies of all seven books. Douglas Gresham, Jack's stepson, who visited the country some six years ago and gave a talk about the professor, is co-producing the films. The movie was shot on location in New Zealand. New Zealand! That's it. I'm moving there. I don't care if sheep outnumber people. There's really no difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment