Friday, February 02, 2007

U2 ::: Jesus Boys Grow Up

From yesterday's atu2.com update.

I never knew U2 had caught the attention of the starched up CCM industry early in their career. This feature article from '82 mentions Larry and Edge's backstage bible study and has Bono crushing the Big Bang.


“I can’t accept a belief that I just came out of gas, you know? That we as a race just exploded into existence—I can’t believe that, and I don’t think others can, really. Deep down, everybody is aware.”

Yes, I am aware and no, I can never believe you came from gas. Gas, Bono, dissipates but you're in the papers every week.

Those atU2 moles are great but could they possibly dig up some new details on that IMAX film? By the way, this bit(e) on the Red lobster from a couple of Bloomberg muckrakers isn't on their news list. Tall puppy syndrome, is it?

The article was picked up by Business Mirror and now I want to share how I discovered it. You have my leave to stop reading now and go back to your email.

We had a small party at work today and they lined the tables with newspapers. You know, for food and other messy stuff. I'm there dumping food on my plate when I see Bono's face soaking in soda. I checked the date and it was from two days ago, meaning we still had extras lying around. I later secured an unspoiled copy and realized Bono made the front page headline complete with a lengthy full-page article about his not-so-altruistic business practices vis a vis his lobbying activities. I was like "What is this? Are they serious?" That's not really news to any U2 watcher but these two fellas think they're mavericks.

BonoBM1BonoBM2


* * *
Recently, my brother pointed out to me how "beautiful" the melody for the coda (is that what you call 'em?) in Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses is. I agree and become outraged that this band isn't a school subject yet. Anyway, as he kept playing it on the guitar, I notice the lyrics go:


Don't turn around, don't turn around again
Don't turn around, your gypsy heart
Don't turn around, don't turn around again
Don't turn around, and don't look back
Come on now love, don't you look back


I got to wondering if this isn't another biblical reference like in Until The End Of The World. Y'know, same sessions, same vibe, same album. My guess is Bono's talking about Lot's wife, the poor woman with the stiff neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment