Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Post-grind Movie Night


Yesterday morning at work, my co-writer offered me invites to a movie premiere (of which our company was one of the sponsors) that evening and I accepted. That's nothing to fuss about, I know, but I normally would've declined them since I'm not keen on going anywhere else but home after a long 10-hour work day...unless, of course, I were off the next morning. (I really gotta ease up on these long sentences!)

So a little after 7 pm, Bacolod Chicken (another co-worker) and I hopped on a cab for Greenbelt 3 to see the Russell Crowe-Ridley Scott movie "A Good Year".

Traffic was surprisingly moderate on that full-moonlit night (heh!) and we got to G3 after about half an hour. It was also a great plus that there weren't many people strolling or hanging around. Maybe it was still early? Anyhow, I've come to expect Russell Crowe movies to be either epic or cerebral dramas. This was neither and, boy, was I glad.
Most of the story takes place in Provence, you know, with rolling meadows, vineyards, rustic estate, and yellow-orangey hues all around. Think "Under the Tuscan Sun" from 2003 except Tuscany's in Italy. You get the idea.
Nobody can deny that Russell Crowe is a serious actor, the guy knows what he's doing. But we rarely see him making a fool himself in character. Here in this movie, he falls, he's messy, he says funny lines.

He's not the only actor to delight in this movie. They've got Albert Finney and Freddie Highmore. Yes, the Brits are well accounted for. And then there's the actor who plays Duflot, the French steward of the vineyard. You'll love him in a William H. Macy type of way. He looks like Vincent D'Onofrio though.

Okay, that's all I've to say for now. Hope everyone's enjoying all thing's Christmassy but never forget that its first six letters are what counts.