Tuesday, February 07, 2006

U2 ::: Stones Leave AP Pining for U2's Halftime

I didn't catch the Superbowl halftime show yesterday. Then again they haven't exactly been hiring must-see acts. What brought on this post about the halftime show is an article by the Associated Press in this morning's paper. It pretty much said that the Rolling Stones fell short...of U2.

"But unlike U2's performance four years ago at the Super Bowl, their [the Stones'] set was not an example of a band at its peak rising to the majesty of the event."

The writer, whether he was a fan or not, couldn't have said it better. It's rare for any band to give a TV performance as solid, as inspiring, as patriotic like that of U2's. And they weren't even Americans.

3 comments:

  1. Amen to that. All I could think about was that the stage was an ugly way to inadvertantly reference the amazing U2 performance. There won't be a superbowl half time that outshines the U2 event. I hope you don't mind but I'd like to reference your entry on my blog. I was thinking the same thing, and I'm glad to see that someone from the AP addressed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sort of funny that the stones used a mouth to embrace their fans, where u2 use a heart to embrace theirs. literally and figuratively.

    ReplyDelete