Saturday, February 04, 2006

FLAK ::: Good Evening, World. We are the Philippines.

By now, everyone should have heard about what happened at the ULTRA this morning. The whole incident is very sad on so many levels that I don't think I can even gather my thoughts about it properly to even relate how I feel. And international news carriers were only too quick to deliver this tragic news to the rest of the world. Like tonight, I was flipping through the channels and saw foreign news channels with national flags I couldn't recognize (and, mind you, I do care to know) were showing footage of people at the site weeping. What a way to end your life. What a way to gain international attention.

So it came to pass that the Peso broke the 52 mark to close at 51.9 to the Dollar yesterday. La-di-da! You know, I'm probably the only one who's even bothered to blog about that bit but I don't care. It's just that I've been following the exchange rate--without any direct involvement whatsoever--since I was 14 years old. While I am certainly not earning American money nor do I have relatives abroad sending me greenbacks, you could say it's something of a confidence-booster for me whenever I hear that our beat up local currency is starting to get off its ass. Yes, I'm always on the lookout for things to be happy about. Even if it's only money.

No comments:

Post a Comment