Saturday, January 21, 2006

Something Got Me Started, Again

Whenever Saturday comes around I feel like I have loads of stuff I want to do yet I don't know where to begin.

We had a Serbisyo Muna Caravan last Wednesday in Baseco which is an urban poor community on the docks. It was quite low-key compared to the past outings because the prez wasn't there. Nonetheless, people still came in droves for the free necessities. Good for them.



There was a short power outage last night so I stepped outside for some light. I looked up and saw a moonless sky with just enough clouds to complement the stars in varying degrees of brightness. The clouds were like shreds of cotton strewn across the milky way. It really was beautiful and I'm sorry I suck at description! I wish I had a camera to capture it although I'm sure it's nothing new. Besides, it looks far better with the naked eye. These are things that never fail to leave me in awe.



So Jason Mraz is back in town. His was the last concert I went to and that was back in '04. I was at the front row and, initially, some freeloader who assumed I wouldn't show up occupied my seat. Most folks would have thrown a fit but because I'm really a wimp, I called one of the ushers instead and pointed out the irregularity. Paolo Santos was the opening act. It was a fun show; Mraz's showmanship makes up for what he lacked in the guitar playing.

I haven't seen any major concert in a long while. Besides, it's not like any good musicians have been to town lately. Speaking of which, let me air out this bit that I've been wanting to hurl at the guilty party for the longest time.

Please! I'd rather go see Blak Dyak or Andrew E. than the Backstreet Boys, I don't care who's got a bigger production budget. At least, Blak Dyak knows how to give back to those tambays who holler up at him while he's doing his thing. BSB came here in '96 just to fluff up their portfolio so that they'll have something to show the US record execs. Then they got incredibly huge and totally forgot about Southeast Asia. A freakin' decade later, they crashland back to Manila. This time, as washed up 30-somethings still out to make big dough off them gullible Asians again. Why? Because the trend-driven teenybopper US market has 'matured' into alcoholic pansies high on x who swear on their fake boobs that they never cared for boybands.

But, you know, I would have been kinder had BSB (or N*Stink and the rest of those pathetic slobs) flown by at least once after '96 to acknowledge the blind loyalty their Asian fans have shown them at the time they were lapping up their newfound homeland recognition and didn't bother including one short stop in Manila (or S'pore, K.L., Bangkok, Jakarta, Hongkong) in their massive world tours.

Perhaps the worst part of it all is the show did generate enough revenue to make these egg-headed producers think that the concert-going public wants more boybands. The prospects of a U2 concert have never looked this grim.

Will Bono do a Macca and vow never to set foot on Philippine soil?

No comments:

Post a Comment