Saturday, January 14, 2006

EVENT COVERAGE ::: Getting Pelted

First of all, I survived Friday the 13th with nary a cut or bruise. Maybe it's because my birthday sometimes falls on a Friday the 13th, too? Like I have some kind of immunity. I don't really believe that but some people certainly had taken in more than their dues yesterday.

We held the seventh Serbisyo Muna Caravan in Navotas yesterday. The thing about these outings is it takes me to places in the metro that I've only heard about and would have no business visiting--Caloocan, Pateros, Navotas, Baseco. I say that because they're too far from Imus and I don't know anybody in those areas. The whole thing did not go without hitches, though. But I swear on my busted laptop that none of it was our fault, none!

My co-writer Raymund got himself a 'talk' from Big Dodie about the schedule of activities the former had labored over the previous day. The boss was slightly irked over some errors in another document that he thought came from our group, meaning Raymund. In truth, the one with all the errors came from this other group. The problem was the actual culprits were over at the other building and could not be bothered to face up to their responsibilities. Some kind of work ethic they got. Anyway, the boss didn't pop a vein but did make Raymund in-charge of extra things that the guilty ones were supposed to handle. The guy came back from Big Dodie's with a glum look on his face like he had been given a death sentence. He said he was fine and that it was ok with him to have to do all those other things--calling people up, site preparations for the next activity, organizing protocol--and that the boss might as well make him project manager if that would be the case. I told him all that stuff was really assigned to the other people and that we already had a full plate. Oh well, right? So if we're going to be the ones to make prior arrangements for the SMC then those who don't want to fess up to that task should write instead. Of course, they can't even make a decent slide presentation to save their lives so I'm sure certain things are going to be compromised come Monday and we'll still be the ones in the crosshair again. Next week ought to be pretty interesting so stay-tuned.

Going back to the Serbisyo Muna Caravan, this one in Navotas was well-attended. I dropped by the information and seminar rooms and quite a lot of people joined in. My assignment was the DFA's "Passport on Wheels" project wherein they process and issue passorts right on the site. I'm glad they joined the SMC because this is definitely a welcome relief to anyone who's spent a day or two lining up at the Foreign Affairs office in Pasay for the same purpose. By the way, GMA was noticeably more generous with addressing media folks that gathered around her as she toured the premises. I guess this is part of the 'be less irritable' disposition New Year's resolution she promised the country a couple weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment