Sunday, December 11, 2005

RIGHT BRAIN ::: Blepharospasm

I woke up Saturday morning with slightly blurry vision with some contours double. A short while later, when I was up and about, I noticed my lower left eyelid faintly twitching. These types of things are on my ignore list so it hardly annoyed me that day. I figured it would go away after a shower--once my skin and muscles eased up.

Well, all of Sunday it was still a nuissance. I decided to look up twitching eyelid on the internet and here's what I found*:
Blepharospasm is the medical term for when your eyelid muscles repeatedly and rhythmically contract. In some instances, the eyelid may repeatedly close (or nearly close) and re-open.

In addition to having repetitive, uncontrollable twitching or spasms of your eyelid (usually the upper lid), you may be very sensitive to light or have blurry vision.
Although my eyes are far from shutting from these spasms, I did see some cloudy spots.
Eyelid twitching usually disappears without treatment. In the meantime, the following steps may help:

* Get more sleep.
* Drink less caffeine.
* Lubricate your eyes with eye drops.

If twitching is severe, small injections of Botulinum toxin can temporarily cure the spasms.
No, it's not severe. In fact, it seldom occurs at this point. However, I have to agree that I need more sleep. (Caffeine is not an issue because I don't drink coffee.) I've been averaging only about six hours since I went back to work. I also think my eyes aren't as used to prolonged staring at a computer monitor as they were when I was a slave. Oh well, tomorrow is Monday and I should make a mental note to give two hours allowance for the commute.

*from MedicinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

No comments:

Post a Comment