Saturday, November 12, 2005

EVENT COVERAGE ::: Wide-eyed in the City

We went to a barangay in Caloocan City yesterday for the Serbisyo Muna mission. I was to write up a press release on the event and our senior writer told me to be at the office by 7:30 so I got there ahead of everyone else at 7:27. I liked the quiet solace those few minutes in the office gave me. It was my first time to take in the fantastic view of early morning Manila Bay from our sixth floor window. The water was sparkling blue and, from a distance, didn't seem like it actually reeked. (I'm kidding, the water doesn't smell--as much. If it did, there wouldn't be thousands of yuppies hanging around Baywalk every night!) A few moments passed by then the rest of the crew came.We then went down to the parked AUV on the street. I'm such a total geek and proud of it so allow me to say it was cool to hop into a vehicle with the word 'Media' all over it. I'm finally living the dream. Babaw, no?

We headed north along Roxas Boulevard, past the pier and 'Smokey Mountain', to Caloocan, rounding a couple of corners and were in Barangay 28 after twenty minutes. The site was already bustling with activity and crowds gathered around the area. I saw a few MalacaƱang PSG people standing with their grim faces scoping out the covered court where the proceedings took place. Everything seemed to be moving along so I started taking notes on the different services offered there: medical check-up, dental extractions, free medicine distribution, job recruitment, cottage industry demos, and a few others. They offered free facials, too, and it was a big hit among the the public who came. A significant percentage were women and children with a few elderly folks.

At 9:30, they announced that President Arroyo had arrived. I saw the convoy and limo pulling up on the street in front. She would stop by a few stalls in the place before entering the covered court premises where we waited. Media folks (photographers, cameramen, tv news crew, and reporters) followed her wherever she went. Finally, her entourage made their way to the foot of the stage, where I stood, and I was surprised to see how she was considerably shorter than me. Her bodyguards were lenient enough to provide space for her to move around and shake hands with people. She went up the stage to give a short speech and, in seconds, nearly crushed by photographers jockeying for position to get the money shot of the President along with other government officials. I almost felt guilty standing in that 'pit' because I had the best view but wasn't taking any photos. Being in the thick of it, I decided to observe the media people in action. The reporter on my right had a steno notebook and carried a recorder, which probably explained why on the only thing written on her notebook were "Bulgari earrings" and "no watch". I suppose these two bits of information took precedence over anything else there; not the free basic community services, not the content of the speech. So this is what the fourth estate is supposed to do, to note down presidential fashion accessories. After almost an hour touring the area, Mrs. Arroyo left for the PICC to visit another event.

We were back at the office by noon and I spent the rest of the day on my write-up. There wasn't anything else to do and this bored me to some extent. I'm sure it's not always going to be that slow. Overall, my first couple of days in PAGCOR's PR department were great. I met the bosses and they're all nice. A few snobs, too, but they'll come around.

2 comments:

  1. i have worked in pr before. it has many challenges. frustration being one of them, particularly if you are a writer.
    peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I just KNEW you'd be the one to comment on that bit. =D Kidding!

    ReplyDelete