Saturday, October 08, 2005

U2 ::: Boy Meets Band, Boy Gets Awestuck

First, this random U2 update that I simply love to blab on about although nobody really gives a monkey's.

As you can see on this photo, it doesn't have to be Saint Paddy's for Irish folk to take over New York. By the way, how lucky is that person who won the K-lite contest for a trip to see U2? I can only hope that person brushed up on vintage material since the band have been injecting quite a few early 80s album tracks into the setlist. Anyway, I don't think Late Nite with Conan O'Brien has ever had such a monumental episode as "U2 Thursday". For those who don't know, U2 are in the midst of another NYC invasion--their second one for '05 and third within the last twelve months.

The interview gave us fans a chance to see the band tell stories with such comic assertiveness. (Did you feel like you were in a pub with them, cold Guinness in hand?) Conan, clearly overwhelmed in the presence of greatness, offered that self-deprecating wit he's known for making the interview one of late night TV's classic moments.

Dead cowboy! Bon Jovi! Hahahaha!

* * *

PAGCOR finally called me and said I've been hired as writer for their corporate communications office. These past two weeks have been spent running here and there putting together the ridiculous list of documents they're asking of me. The experience has been nothing short of a rude awakening for me on how government employees relate to the general public seeking their services. Initially, the absence of courtesy and abundance of high-and-mighty attitudes they displayed got on my nerves. You couldn't help but believe they behave this way as a result of sheer job dissatisfaction. Every office I walk into had blank faces and a general feel of crabbiness in the air. When I told this experience to my peeps, they shared the statement that it's just the way it is with government workers. Still, coming from a customer service environment like I did, the widespread disregard for grace and professionalism I witnessed was repulsive. We pay an enormous amount of taxes that let these loafers sit behind desks to chitchat the whole day then act all irritated when you show up and they'd have to earn their keep. Crudeness was so rampant I quickly learned to expect the worst from each of my stops and they didn't disappoint. I think it boils down to our culture. Our long history of bowing and looking up to Spaniards had such an impact on us that we Pinoys thrive on finally having influence, grabbing each chance to be in control of someone or something. That explains the title of this post. I think this de facto mentality has got to go.

* * *

There's a new BPO in town called Ask Me Now. It's a contact center, which means they don't actually do voice support. Instead, they process information requests from customers sent through email, text, or phone voice messages. I'm scheduled for a final interview there on Monday. My plan is to work there part-time, juggling it with the PAGCOR job. I had 14-hour days with my last PS shift that I don't think working two jobs will be that much of a stretch. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment