Saturday, October 15, 2005

RIGHT BRAIN ::: 3 Looks Like 5

I know we're going full-speed ahead with the holiday season when I look out the window and the sun's angle makes things look like it's closer to five o'clock than it actually is. Plus, the temperature's a bit cooler in the afternoons. *sigh* Then you hear John Lennon's "Happy Christmas, War is Over" on the radio and, suddenly, it dawns on you that time doesn't really take time. Something about this part of the year gets me contemplating.

Before all that, November 1st is just a couple weeks away and it's always a considerably big event, atleast in my uber-extended family. While growing up in the fabulous 80s, we were shown the importance of knowing and meeting relatives. It wouldn't matter if the last person responsible for the consanguinity died ages ago("nineteen for-gotten," they often quipped) because family is family. Each time All Saints' Day came around, our 'pantheon' would be swarming with people. Later on, some of the regular faces would be missing and the annual body count waned. A few left the country and others couldn't make the trip due to illness; while some opted to remain in the cemetery for good. What used to be tag-along children back then are now the ones in-charge of arrangements: flowers, food, candles, etc. Because it has always been part of our childhood, my siblings, cousins, and I don't need to be bribed or, in the off chance, emotionally blackmailed to get moving with it.

They are, again, doing some rennovations on Ninang's puntod so steel welding and carpentry are what you might see at the driveway these days. It's not as bad because I've been sleeping in my room (in the nighttime, finally) so the noise they make doesn't cut into my precious slumber. I'm also hoping to get my official appointment from PAGCOR next week which means I'll be out of the house all day until well into the night since I work part-time for AMN.

This is all I care to write about today. Maybe something will kick in later. Quien sabe?

No comments:

Post a Comment