Monday, May 08, 2006

Tackling the MTV Asia Awards

Yes, indeed. I skipped work today and there's a few reasons. One, it got so hot last night I couldn't get some decent shut eye. Second, I have the Monday blues and just thinking about the long commute to work and being wedged in the middle of rush hour hell was enough to discourage me from getting out of bed this morning.

Don't get me wrong now. I'd like to think I'm a pretty decent employee because I put a lot of love and attention to my work, I do overtime (a lot) without being asked or getting additional pay, and I don't lounge around and gossip about people 'cause that stuff is poison. But once in a while, I like to take a break and give my neglected self some "me" time.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

They held the MTV Asia Awards last Saturday. Was alright but, to be honest, none of the performances really made an impression.

These Asian artists are way confused. You could see the Michael Jackson influence has not wained a bit in this part of the universe. Just about every performer was doing some kind song and dance routine not unlike something you saw the King of Pop do. You know who you are.

Rivermaya was the only act that I sat through without changing the channeland I'm not even a fan of that band. They had some live orchestra help with "You'll Be Safe Here". I think these guys just expanded their Thai fan base with Mark Escueta's t-shirt while Rico, as always, had the best words to say to and about the fans back home.

The Lee Ryan-Tata Young duet sounded really forced. It made me wonder about how long (or short) the amount of time they had was to rehearse that number—even the guy on the piano had his own tempo.

Kelly Rowland and Wang Lee Hom were great hosts. They had projected good vibes between them and that projected well on the telly...although Wang Lee Hom's whole "I say bang, you say kok" wasn't exactly the highlight of his whole hosting career. Who's idea was that anyway?

If you didn't watch the whole program you wouldn't have known Daniel Powter performed. His bit was pretty lackluster and I find that unfair of him to do especially how that song has been embraced by Asian fans plus the fact that it's blown up so big thanks to American Idol. Shame on you, D.P.

Before the show started broadcast, I was straining to see some red carpet footage with the MTV VJs. Instead, they had a travelogue show hosted by half of the Moffatts. Oh brother. MTV, in case you haven't noticed, the whole boyband craze has long since died a natural death and it isn't a good idea to exhume it. Where was the pre-show program? No video footage of the artists arriving at the venue? How about rehearsals? Nada? Aw, come on.

Still, I have to give the event organizers and MTV themselves for all the effort they put into that show. It's not an easy thing to contact artists' endless list of handlers and scheduling everything. I'm just saddened the acts themselves weren't serious enough to deliver decent tv. Instead, we fans had to watch something that would make Simon Cowell book an extended holiday.

Lastly, that whole animation sequence was a big waste of time. Don't ever do that again.