Friday, May 12, 2006

All That For Just One Lunch Break

I decided I didn't want anything on today's office concessionaire menu so I went to the mall to get some variety. So I went to Mexicali and got me some muy delicioso y muy chewy enchilada!

It was past 1 pm when I sat down to order so the place was relatively quiet. The lunch crowd had already trodded back to their cubicles. I find this idyllic and allowed me to enjoy every bite of my enchilada.

At this point, you're probably typing a new URL on the address bar up there as you realize how pathetic this entry would be. "I did this, saw that, got this, said that..." But there's always a prize for patience.

I never realized that I will receive a knee-slapping reminder of that extra quirky Pinoy culture in the mall of all places. After all, a shopping mall, being centers for global homogeny, is the last place you'd expect for a satori such as the one I had today.

People like to personalize things by putting names (ours or those of people we love) on various things like jeepneys, doors to our homes, concrete slabs, cellphones---just about anythihg!

As the practice evolved, people, particularly school kids, somehow started writing full messages in bathroom walls. They generally were intended for 'terror' teachers. Not so "gago ka sir hermino", "tanga ang bumasa nito", and "pok*** si gemma espiritu" are some examples of the bathroom literature. It was only a matter of time before replies to messages such as these began appearing on the same surfaces.

"HINDI tanga ang magbasa nito" and "mahiya naman kayo hindi kayo may-ari nitong c.r. nag-va-vandal pa", etc.

So I got a little excited when I saw the sign below from behind a bathroom stall door.


It was not actually someone's handwriting (you can tell by the lack of emotion in the message) more than a loperamide advertisement. At any rate, it got me wondering why they hadn't thought of that before. Maybe they have but mall management were against it for fear of eliciting further nuisances.

P.S. I GOT PAID