Friday, January 27, 2006

RIGHT BRAIN ::: Pacquiao In Da Hao

I woke up to the announcement that Manny Pacquiao had arrived. It was my father. Now that I think about it, the whole thing was so hilarious. He said it like M.P. was a relative!

The morning shows were airing live footage of "the people's champ" being crushed by frenzied local mediamen (it's impossible in that mob, believe me!) and politicians as he made his way through Terminal 2. He had the biggest smile on his face eventhough he could barely step forward. Reporters were struggling to get soundbites off him and he did not disappoint.

They later announced that he will be staying at the new Hyatt--where our office is. I got ready for work

At 7:15 am, I was on my way to Baclaran. Nothing special there except it took half an hour to get to the coastal expressway!

* * *

Since I walk towards the Hyatt Hotel Marina from the south side, I didn't really see the 'frenzy' in the area caused by the famous guest. I would have welcomed the chaos.

All throughout the day, police sirens kept blaring from the streets below. I wondered if it was Pacquiao's motorcade but it turned out his boxing glove ride did not (excuse the pun) 'float' to Ermita. But I found out that he was already on-stage at Plaza Sulayman (a block from my workplace) by 5 pm and was singing his song with the President. Make what you want of it. How Pinoy.

* * *

I felt quite accomplished today.

I had just finished the draft for a speech for one of our suits that I'd been working on since Wednesday when Boss Mike reminded me of that column feed he asked me to write, also last Wednesday, had to be sent today. So I spent all afternoon researching facts and figures and sorting them out for that article. I was almost panicking because I could not find my groove--I just didn't know where to start, nothing new for me. After tossing ideas in my head for a good half hour, I started writing. It would be another four hours before I finished the thing.

My boss went over it and told me to go ahead and send it out. Hopefully, it will see print (if they deem it worthy) some time next week.

* * *
Everywhere I went, Pacquiao's name was on people's mouths. The man is a hero alright. I didn't hear one negative comment about him and that song of his is climbing the charts. Now, that's tolerance.

No comments:

Post a Comment