Monday, October 31, 2005

RIGHT BRAIN ::: Aren't Gas Prices Crushing You Yet?

It being the third day straight in a very long weekend, I blithely expected Metro traffic to be a breeze. As such, I scrapped 30 minutes off my usual commute time allowance of 90--because I like to live on the edge. I bragged that I'd get to Makati in forty minutes, tops. Boy, was I wrong. Sure, no pile-ups met my trek to work but people were still everywhere. So now I had to get a taxicab! I don't particularly like that because drivers NEVER GIVE CHANGE. Those LED indicators should also say how much your change is, just like the POS registers. "Wala 'kong panukli eh." Lokohin mo lelang mo, maghapon ka nang nag-bi-biyahe, walang panuki!? No matter how insignificant and raggedy I look, taxi drivers seem to read 'anak ni Lucio Tan' on my forehead all the time. Long story short, I made it with just a few minutes to spare.

Wipe that drivel off your chin, I'm almost done.

On that same cab ride, I saw children in Halloween costumes rounding the corner of Ayala and Makati avenues with paperbags of candy. Oddly enough, they were not accompanied by any adult. That's The Philippines for ya. The rich brats will be in and around the San Lorenzo, Dasma, Forbes Park, and Magallanes villages' streets later tonight while the poor kids hang around for leftovers at their pearly gates.

The carpark at Ayala Center was full. Folks do have money for gas. Tell me, how are we to send the message that we're drowning in penury when brand new cars keep showing up at the streets and filling up parking spots? I don't like to advocate the idea that only the lower margins of society are affected by the economic slump but it's painfully obvious.

My sister was putting up our fake plastic fire hazard Christmas Tree when I left the house. It was funny how everyone with bad moods quickly got all giddy after they joined in on the decorating. By the way, we'll all be at the cemetery tomorrow for Undas and I'm so looking forward to seeing my lovely relatives again, they always have nice things to say to me. *doubles over*

No comments:

Post a Comment