Tuesday, August 16, 2005

RIGHT BRAIN ::: Ever the Whiner

So Jonas tells me he's thinking about auditioning for this talent search organized by a TV network. I say go get 'em! He's had his eye on that freakin' contest from the very beginning anyway. Plus, those people they pick to go on the show? Total losers. I think that if you have enough gall to be chastised on-air for your lack of talent, they'll put you in the running. Anyway, I hope he does show up and try out. Jonas has everything they could ever want or need in a teen idol. Jonas's blog is angakingpaa.blogspot.com. Do see!

In other developments, this morning I got a letter from one of the companies I interviewed with and, as expected, it was just to tell me "thanks but we've found our guy." Obviously, that's not how it was worded but you get the idea. I found it unusual that they would take the time to send out that missive. HRDs usually just email or text the bad (or great) news but this Program Director actually signed the letter which leads me to believe it was somewhat personalized. Big deal. A lot of difference that made when it seems my career is at a stand still. To tell you the truth, I wasn't even sure I really wanted that Account Executive job which, as she told me, involved mainly telemarketing. Now, there's a word I truly eschew.

So why did I bother? Primarily because Alan Ranch (good friend and a DJ from 103.5 Klite) recommended me to one of the bosses there. Second was the pay and third was the prospect of working in the daytime. I remember being daftly chipper when I walked into the PD's office -- owing largely to the fact that I didn't know the job involved selling. Spring in my step? Check! Firm handshake and bright smile? Check! Voice projection? Double check! Eventually, midway through the interview, she revealed that it was indeed a telemarketing position. Ugh! It was pretty much downhill from there. Although I was able to maintain enthusiasm and eloquence up to the end of our session, at the back of my mind was a different story. On the way home, I asked myself, "Do I really want to do this job selling heaven knows what, much less, talking to customers on the phone, again?" I already knew the answer but still kept on thinking that I owed it to myself to atleast give it a try.

And there on this morning's letter was my result.

To be honest, I'm quite relieved I didn't get the job. I don't know how long, if at all, I would have been able to remain doing that type of thing. I knew that application was doomed from the start. It's interesting how I was ahead of myself and was actually right.

No comments:

Post a Comment