Monday, July 26, 2010

A Great Ube Snack is Never Pricey

Bread Room's ube bars are a rich heavenly surprise!

Every sweet tooth needs just a little hit according to one U2 song and we all know they speak the truth.

Someone told me before that Singapore is a "bread-eating country". I like breads, too, so when I was living there I was always stopping by the bakeries--more commonly referred to by the locals as "confectionery shop"--just to get a brownie, custard puff, muffin, crepe, or whatever soft and sweet treat. I was always a willing victim to the next worthy breadiction. It's no wonder then that on a recent visit to my best friend's house, I found a new favorite and haven't stopped bugging her about it since.

We weren't really paying attention to them that afternoon but I guess we were hungry so we thought we'd take a bite of these ube-colored mini-cakes. They were wrapped in plain blue plastic bags, the kind they use at the palengke, so not much was expected either. However, one bite quickly turned into a few pieces consumed. In a few minutes, the ube bread has landed on our palates and redeemed the neighborhood bakery. How can something so delightful not come from a fancy mall?

This really was a pleasant discovery for me because: 1) it was very rich and you could really taste the ube sweetness; 2) it was soft and moist, just like those Red Ribbon ube cakes; 3) they were from a small humble bakery in an obscure corner of the city; and 4) they were very cheap at PHP4 apiece!

I later found out that the mini-cake is called an ube bar and that many panaderias make them. But I bet none of them can match the ube bar sold at Bread Room bakery on Gatchalian Avenue, ParaƱaque City. Get yourselves some comfort food that doesn't cause discomfort to your budget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment